John Richard Tonkin (FSP141144, trading as Tonkin Financial Services) is a Financial Advice Provider (FAP) licensed and regulated by the Financial Markets Authority to provide financial advice.
Nature and scope of our advice
We only provide financial advice about insurance and investment products. We also provide an investment planning service.
- Life Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Income Protection Insurance
- Trauma Insurance
- Total & Permanent Disability Insurance
- Employment Superannuation
- Managed Investment Funds
We only provide financial advice about products from certain providers:
- ANZ OneAnswer
Tonkin Financial Services recommends the use of the ANZ OneAnswer wrap platform service for holding client investments.
Fees or expenses
Tonkin Financial Services will charge a fee for the financial advice that is provided to you. The fee charged will depend on the nature of the financial advice and service that we provide.
- Financial planning fee: we will charge you a fee for the development of a financial plan tailored to your needs. The fee for this service is charged on an hourly basis.
- Ongoing advice/portfolio monitoring fees: we will charge you a fee to monitor and review your investment portfolio. The exact fees we will charge will depend on the value of your investment portfolio.
We will not charge you any fees for the financial advice we provide in relation to insurance.
The exact fees we will charge will be confirmed at the time the advice is provided. All our fees are payable within 14 days of the date you receive the invoice.
Investments held in the ANZ OneAnswer wrap platform service are subject to custodian fees. These fees are based on the amount of your investment portfolio held in the wrap platform. We will provide you more information about the custodian fees once we have provided you with the advice.
You will need to pay an insurance premium to the provider of your insurance policy when you take out insurance with them. This amount is dependent on a number of factors such as the extent of the coverage, the length of time being covered, and your excess.
Conflicts of interest and commissions
Commissions we are eligible to receive
If you decide to implement our advice and take out insurance with the providers we work with, Tonkin Financial Services will receive a commission from the insurer. The amount of the commission we receive depends on a number of factors such as the insurer, the type of insurance, and the amount of your premium.
Tonkin Financial Services may receive a servicing fee from some the investment product providers we work with. The amount of this fee depends on the amount of funds you are investing.
We will provide you more specific details of these commissions and fees once we have talked to you and better understand your needs.
Relationship with AMP
Tonkin Financial Services is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus from AMP. The amount of the bonus we receive depends on the growth of the funds under management we have with AMP over a 12 month period (for investments) and the increase of premiums in force (for insurance).
To ensure we prioritise our clients’ interests :
- We follow an advice process that ensures our recommendations are made appropriately, based on clients’ goals and circumstances.
- We undergo annual training about how to manage conflicts of interest.
- We maintain registers of conflicts of interests and the gifts and incentives we receive. These registers are monitored regularly, and additional training is provided as required.
- We undertake an annual independent Compliance Assurance Review by Strategi.
Complaints handling and dispute resolution
If you are not satisfied with our service or financial advice, please tell us as soon as possible.
Call: 09 308 241
Write to: PO Box 105012, Auckland, New Zealand 1143
When we receive a complaint:
- We will consider your complaint and let you know how we intend to resolve it. Where possible, we try to resolve your complaint immediately.
- If we are unable to resolve your complaint immediately, we will acknowledge your complaint within 5 business days. We may contact you to get further information about your complaint.
- We aim to resolve complaints within five working days of receiving them. If we need more time to investigate your complaint, we will let you know when you can expect to receive a response to your complaint.
- We will contact you by phone, email or letter to let you know whether we can resolve your complaint and how we propose to do so.
If we cannot agree on how to fix the issue, or if you decide not to use our internal complaints process, you can contact our external disputes resolution scheme, Financial Dispute Resolution Service (FDRS). FDRS provides a free and independent dispute resolution service that may help to resolve your complaint if we haven’t been able to do so to your satisfaction. To contact FDRS:
Call: 0504 337 337
Write to: PO Box 2272, Wellington, New Zealand, 6140
Tonkin Financial Financial Services and our advisers have duties under the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 relating to the way that we give advice.
We are required to:
- give priority to your interests;
- exercise care, diligence, and skill;
- meet standards of competence, knowledge and skill set by the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services
- meet standards of ethical behaviour, conduct and client care set by the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services.
John Richard Tonkin (FSP141144, trading as Tonkin Financial Services) is the Financial Advice Provider.
Call: +64 (09) 308 2412
Write to: PO Box 105012, Auckland, New Zealand 1143
Office address: Level 2, Cathedral House, 48-52 Wyndham Street, Auckland New Zealand 1010
A written copy of this information is available upon request.